Quebec City, Canada
48,000 students University
Being the oldest center of education and one of the largest universities in Canada, Laval University has over 38,000 students and offers more than 350 programs of study. It is ranked among the top 10 Canadian universities with regards to research funding.
Energy Efficiency Measures
- Modification of the controls and the operation of approximately 75% of the equipment (air handling units, chilled water distribution, hot water distribution, new equipment);
- Installation of heat exchanger for energy recovery to preheat the fresh air (with new preheat coil);
- Installation of variable frequency drives to reduce the fan and pump power of the equipment;
- Airflow reduction during unoccupied periods.
- Modifications of the air handling units to 100% fresh air systems;
- The exhaust fans run continually on the laboratory hoods;
- Adjustment of air changes per hour during occupied periods.
This project was a great success. In addition to increasing the comfort of the buildings’ occupants, the energy efficiency measures implemented resulted in reductions of the total energy consumption of the building by 51% by saving a total of $216,000 annually.